Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:32:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'd recommend asking dcantrell, as he has some good points on this
> topic. I broadly agree with him that it might well be more or less
> impossible to smoothly handle a major rewrite of anaconda in our current
> development process. CCing to make sure he sees this.

If you are saying that 6 months are a too short time for something
like this I think I can understand it.

However, from the relevant feature page contingency plan:

"""
First, at some point before the development freeze, we need to merge
the newui branch into master in git. At this point, regular anaconda
builds will include the new UI and that's what everyone will see.
Should we not get to a point where we're comfortable with merging
before the development freeze, the contingency plan would simply be to
not merge and wait for the next Fedora release.

Second, after merging we are kind of committed to taking this UI in
for Fedora 18. It will be too large of a body of work to revert. Plus,
much of our effort will have been spent on the newui branch which
means regular bug fixing will have suffered. I do not have a good idea
of what the contingency plan for this point will be.
""""

So, apparently, we approved this feature knowing that after the merge
we effectively had no plan in case of large issues.

I don't know if it's impossible to revert to the F17 anaconda at this
time, however it is clear that F18 is going to be the longest release
cycle we had in 9 years and somehow we need to avoid this in the
future.

Cheers

G.

--