Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:56:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 19:32 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
>
>> I don't know if it's impossible to revert to the F17 anaconda at this
>> time, however it is clear that F18 is going to be the longest release
>> cycle we had in 9 years and somehow we need to avoid this in the
>> future.
>
> It's not impossible, well, nothing is impossible, but at this point it's
> almost certainly more of a disruption than just plowing on with newui.
>
> It's worth noting quite a lot of the early issues in this cycle -
> particularly during Alpha - weren't actually much to do with newui; they
> were more to do with changes in dracut which affected anaconda. oldui
> wasn't fixed for that, so if were to try and switch back to oldui at
> this point, we'd have to go through the whole process of adjusting the
> code for the changes to dracut again, quite apart from any other issues.

The mistake was to accept a feature this large without a contingency
plan ... even the anaconda roadmap listed some features like
"upgrades" as to be finished by F19 beta.
So the people involved all knew that this was far from being ready.

But there is nothing we can do at this point ... other then outright
reject such features in the future.