Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Vratislav Podzimek vpodzime at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 09:27:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 19:32 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I'd recommend asking dcantrell, as he has some good points on this
> > topic. I broadly agree with him that it might well be more or less
> > impossible to smoothly handle a major rewrite of anaconda in our current
> > development process. CCing to make sure he sees this.
>
> If you are saying that 6 months are a too short time for something
> like this I think I can understand it.
6 months are a too short time. And it was less than 6 months. As can be
seen from the F18 release schedule [1], originally it was about 3 months
between the day F17 was released and the day new Anaconda was expected
to work (F18 Alpha release). We of course didn't start the work on May
29, but since there were significant changes in F17 too at least part of
the team had to fix bugs and make F17 releasable. Also Alpha is not
supposed to be 100% feature complete, but it seemed to me that not
everybody was taking this into account.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/18/Schedule

--
Vratislav Podzimek