Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:50:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Vratislav Podzimek
> <vpodzime at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 19:32 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
>>> If you are saying that 6 months are a too short time for something
>>> like this I think I can understand it.
>> 6 months are a too short time. And it was less than 6 months. As can be
>> seen from the F18 release schedule [1], originally it was about 3 months
>> between the day F17 was released and the day new Anaconda was expected
>> to work (F18 Alpha release).
>
> Sure in that case you shouldn't have propose it for F18 to begin with
> but take your time and introduce it in F19. There is no need for this
> rush.

I'm not happy with the outcome either, but as a developer I can really
see how bringing forward the old ui (which would need changes even if
you do not add features there) and the new one at the same time would
be impractical and/or plain impossible to do.

However, I think anaconda developers knew that 6 months were too short
since the beginning. If this was abundantly clear to FESCo and other
interested parties, I think we could even accept a one time 9/12
months release cycle instead, without raising all this fuss for each
week of delay.

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com