Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID))

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 15:15:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 01:25:36PM +0100, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> On 10/30/2012 07:53 PM, drago01 wrote:
> >On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>It's time somebody asked this, so ...

> >>It appears to me that anaconda is months away from being shippable.
> >>It's still got major features that are incomplete (one example above,
> >>but there are more), and I don't seem to be able to do anything at all
> >>with it without hitting serious bugs.
> >>
> >>How is it that we're even considering shipping this version for F18?
> >>For any other package, we'd be telling the maintainer to hold off
> >>till F19.  The rest of us don't get to be doing major feature
> >>development post-beta-freeze.
> >
> >https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/944
> >
> >FESCo dismissed this as "insane" even though it was the only
> >reasonable thing to do.
> >

> You replied to yourself by the ticket. Maybe you studied the anaconda
> code and you are able to do qualified estimation of time to fix all
> bugs. I'm not, so I've taken information from anaconda team.
>
> The non existing contingency plan was wrong thing to do and it must
> be taken more seriously for features since F-19.

One way to deal with non-esitent contingency plans would be that they must
be feature complete and testable before merging.  (instead of at Alpha).
There would need to be additional policy about when they needed to be
merged.  I could see, for instance, that they'd have to be merged when
rawhide branched as that is the time when development of the new release
starts and allows people to rapidly say, ready: everyone else adjust your
code or not-ready: pull that change out and recognize how that's going to
hobble changes to anything else for the cycle.

-Toshio