still UsrMove problems and wrong PATH in openssh

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 21:48:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 03:21:56PM -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>

>     this is WRONG behavior
>
>     any upstream-script the next years will use #!/bin/perl and
>     it would be idiotic to write patches for every application
>     only becasue fdora decided to make UsrMove
>
>     UsrMove is a distribution-feature
>     and so the distribution has to care that basic parts
>     of the ditsribution do the rights things CENTRALIZED
>

> I'm not a Perl programmer... but shouldn't scripts be using something like #!/
> usr/bin/env perl rather than hardcoding #!/bin/perl anyway? That's the way
> Python scripts have been written for years (#!/usr/bin/env python), long before
> UsrMove.

env comes with its own problems.  The one I'm most familiar with is when
a site has its own, somewhat incompatible version of the interpreter
installed.  For instance, if Fedora ships with python == python-2.7 and the
site installs /usr?local/bin/python and places that first in the PATH.
Sudddenlyy rpm managed packages that use /usr/bin/env python will break.

This can also come into play with versions that are closer in nature.  For
instance, we might install python-2.7.1 via rpm but the site might install
python-2.7.2 locally.  If the scripts that are installed require python
modules, the rpm dependencies will make sure those deps are installed for
the system python-2.7.1.  But they won't be installed for the local
python-2.7.2 version.  If that comes first in the PATH and a script uses
/usr/bin/env python, this will break as well.

-Toshio