still UsrMove problems and wrong PATH in openssh

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Oct 31 21:43:24 UTC 2012

Am 31.10.2012 22:35, schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
>>> But they're not implicit. As I've said in the bug(s) already, rpm doesn't invent paths, it generates dependencies
>>> based on the file contents: if a script has #!/bin/perl through whatever means (ie hardcoded or generated),
>>> /bin/perl is what you get as a dependency
>>
>> this is WRONG behavior
>>
> This does not necessarily follow from:
>
>> any upstream-script the next years will use #!/bin/perl and
>> it would be idiotic to write patches for every application
>> only becasue fdora decided to make UsrMove
>>
>> UsrMove is a distribution-feature
>> and so the distribution has to care that basic parts
>> of the ditsribution do the rights things CENTRALIZED
>>
> this.
>
> UsrMove was a Fedora specific distribution change.  As such, patching of
> applications to use /usr/bin/perl instead of /bin/perl is a distribution
> change that we should be making as well.

why patch a unkown count of scrupts instead make sure
in the central part "rpmbuild" that UsrMove is respected

> If the people affected by these local patches feel that the cost they have to
> bear for implementing UsrMove is too much, perhaps they should propose an
> F19 feature to "Move programs and libraries to a more traditional hierarchy"
> Fedora has been known to implement things that were later reverted

how do you imagine to revert UsrMove?

it makes pretty no sense because it is much harder than move the
files from /bin and 7sbin to another location and replace the
directory with a symlink

the problem is that such features with zero benefit are done
in a rush - where is the real benefit? "cleaner root fs" was
one of the argumentations - what is cleaner now? the folder
count is the same and if it is a physical folder or a link
does not matter

the argumentation with /usr on a sepearetd fileystem and
share it between different os-installations is bull***t
as also the argumentation "make a snapshot of /usr on
a own partition before upgrades and revert" because /etc
and /var/lib with the rpm-database would not be affected
from restore the snapshot and the whole system would be
broken after doing so

hopefully in the future features are more usefull and
the pain-potential would be better considered instead
doing changes "because we can" and waste time which
could be used for useful things