Rawhide boot problems

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Sep 7 16:51:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 18:30:10 +0200,
   Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
>On Wed, 29.08.12 08:44, Jim Meyering (jim at meyering.net) wrote:
>
>So this happened because somebody updated the Rawhide package, which
>disabled package inheritance from F18. I have now untagged the package
>in Rawhide again, and added a notice to the .spec file so that people
>don't go and blindly update the package in Rawhide, but instead just let
>inheritance between F18 and Rawhide do its work.

That won't interact well with mass rebuilds.

>Honestly, I think Fedora got the branches all backwards. Instead of
>carrying around master all the time we should just have the version
>branches and whenever somebody needs a new version branch he should just
>branch of the most recent one. Right now "master" is for many packages
>mostly dead territory between the time where a version got forked off
>(but is not yet released) and the time where people actually start
>working on the next distribution version.

I actually wish people would stop doing updates just for branched and not
doing new rawhide builds. This is especially bad during freezes (and the
current one has been very long), as rawhide doesn't inherit from
updates-testing, so you don't automagicly get fixes. For now I have enabled
updates-testing for 18 in addition to rawhide for my rawhide machine, in
order to get a lot of the gnome related stuff.

I think our policy is that you should do rawhide builds, but at least some
significant groups of packagers actively don't do rawhide builds. If that
is going to continue, we should consider having rawhide inherit from
updates-testing.