Rawhide boot problems

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Sep 7 17:16:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, 07.09.12 11:00, Kevin Fenzi (kevin at scrye.com) wrote:

> > I think our policy is that you should do rawhide builds, but at least
> > some significant groups of packagers actively don't do rawhide
> > builds. If that is going to continue, we should consider having
> > rawhide inherit from updates-testing.
>
> I'd like to propose the opposite:
>
> Lets drop any inheritance between branched and rawhide.
>
> Is it really that much trouble to commit/build in rawhide first?

Yes, it effectively doubles my Fedora workload.

> Thats where you should be doing your development anyhow. Then, only if
> all looks well, should you push to branched.

Dude, I already have to look afer way too many distros at the same
time. I see no point at all in developing two development distros
simultaneously. As long as I don want my F18 and F19 version of packages
diverge I see no point in doing everything twice.

It sounds really bogus to me to develop to distros at the same time
rather than just focussing on stabilizing one of them and let the other
just get a copy of my packages.

I mean, I don't really like doing packaging work that much. I do it
because it is necessary, not because it is fun. You know what is even
less fun? Doing everything twice if things could just as easily be
inherited automatically.

I really don't intend to spend my life on cherry picking things from one
brnach into the other if computers can do that for me. Being a
cherry-picking monkey sounds like a fantastic job description for a
computer, but not really for a human, thank you very much.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.