Network configuration future

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Sep 7 18:15:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 13:23 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 08/30/2012 08:55 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) said:

> >> The systemd people do have some ideas they've already been kicking around
> >> for this already... have you seen it?
> >
> > To be clear, I'm not really convinced yet that this is something we need...
> > there is a lot of legacy admin overhead and infrastructure that is highly
> > resistant to change here.
>
> Speaking as an admin I think something needs to happen here. The current
> shell script/NetworkManager chimera is really ugly since they don't
> cooperate well I really wished things would go one way or the other or
> someone would come up with something that replaces both but I consider the
> current situation as a worst case scenario.

We're working on that in the NM space, with management modes in between
"unmanaged" and "fully managed".  For whatever reason, we'll never be in
a position where one or the other solution "wins", so we'll have to
figure out ways to coexist.  And obviously the goal is to get better
than the current situation.

Dan