Rawhide boot problems

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 21:27:43 UTC 2012

> Anway, I still believe that the default approach to doing package
> development should be to focus on F18 as long as it isn't released,
> and only open F19 for a packge if the packager decides he is ready
> to. Right now we have the opposite where a package immediately is
> branched twice and packagers then have to make sure nobody uses the
> newer branch yet.
>
> So yeah, I do acknowledge that both modes of working make sense, I
> just believe the default approach should be one where focus is on
> stabilizing things, not on developing new stuff all the time.

This is my view as well. Having two development releases in parallel is
confusing for both package maintainers and testers -- everybody should
really be focusing on the upcoming F18 release, but instead people are
installing rawhide as well.

We just don't have the resources to do two parallel development distros
at a time. Instead, what we are doing now is splitting the tester base
between F18 and rawhide, and this makes F18 quality go down. And also
gives rawhide a bad name.

Can't we just change the branching to a later date?

--
Kalev