Rawhide boot problems

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Sep 10 22:14:26 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-10 15:03, Kalev Lember wrote:

> The hard reality is that branched and rawhide are getting pretty much
> the same set of packages currently. It's a very nice view to let
> development go ahead in rawhide, and to stabilize branched. But we
> only
> have so many developers and everyone is focusing on branched, leaving
> rawhide broken.

I don't think that's true, actually. There certainly are devs who take
advantage of the model. Lennart wrote that 'everyone' has to for it to
be valuable, but that isn't true at all.

I can recall at least two notifications to the list about updates to
major libraries happening in Rawhide that aren't happening in F18. One
of them is boost: it's up a whole major version in Rawhide compared to
F18. That's exactly how the policy is supposed to work. I forget exactly
what the other was, but I know there was at least one more.

Another example from today - the Postgresql maintainer mailed the list
to say that now F18 is delayed he'll be putting the new version in F18,
but until then, he was planning to have the newer version in Rawhide
only - again, exactly how the policy is supposed to work.

Those are just examples from memory, not even looking through the
archives.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey