Rawhide boot problems

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 23:43:19 UTC 2012

On 10 September 2012 17:16, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 10.09.12 15:51, Jesse Keating (jkeating at j2solutions.net) wrote:
>
>> On 09/10/2012 02:27 PM, Kalev Lember wrote:
>> >Can't we just change the branching to a later date?
>>
>> When we used to do that, we frequently had destabilizing changes
>> happening late in the development process, because there was no
>> other place to land them.
>
> My suggestion of just letting everybody branch on their own, getting rid
> of mass branching and gettind rid of the master branch would neatly
> allow people to push their changes to any later distro they want...

I don't see how that can scale to the number of packages in Fedora. It
is going to be a combinatorics nightmare especially when a ton of
people don't work together and all have their own idea of the RIGHT
way to branch, land and build their own packages. It might work for a
scaled down OS-tree size distro.. but at 12000 packages.. and things
like "well you pushed this into X and now A..Z packages need to be
rebuilt against it."

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."