Rawhide boot problems

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Sep 11 00:49:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, 10.09.12 17:43, Stephen John Smoogen (smooge at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 10 September 2012 17:16, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> >> When we used to do that, we frequently had destabilizing changes
> >> happening late in the development process, because there was no
> >> other place to land them.
> >
> > My suggestion of just letting everybody branch on their own, getting rid
> > of mass branching and gettind rid of the master branch would neatly
> > allow people to push their changes to any later distro they want...
>
> I don't see how that can scale to the number of packages in Fedora. It
> is going to be a combinatorics nightmare especially when a ton of

Nightmare? how so? where would it matter?

> people don't work together and all have their own idea of the RIGHT
> way to branch, land and build their own packages. It might work for a
> scaled down OS-tree size distro.. but at 12000 packages.. and things
> like "well you pushed this into X and now A..Z packages need to be
> rebuilt against it."

I don't follow... what has this to do with whether the master branch
exists?

Note that if mass rebuilds need to happen then of course this would mean
that the respective branch in the respective package would have to
create implicitly as part of the rebuild. But that shouldn't be too
hard...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.