Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Sep 12 06:16:22 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-11 23:06, Álvaro Castillo wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Álvaro Castillo
> <netsys at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Ankur Sinha
>> <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I thought so too. I was wondering what the DE agnostic way of
>>> enabling
>>> tapping would be though. I use gnome, and the "mouse" utility does
>>> this
>>> for me. However, when folks on other DEs, such as XFCE ask me how
>>> to do
>>> it, I don't quite have an answer.
>>>
>>> Could someone please outline the correct way of enabling tapping
>>> and
>>> other options (for instance horizontal scrolling, two finger
>>> scrolling..) on various DEs ? Even if each DE has a specific way,
>>> please
>>> can you post with what it is? I can compile the information on a
>>> wiki
>>> page to aid users, with relevant links to upstreams if they want to
>>> take
>>> up changing defaults with them.
>>
>> $ synclient TapButton1=1 is to enable touchpad clic
>>
>> --
>> Álvaro Castillo
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Netsys [1]
>> Linux user #547784
>
> Maybe add this on all DE, WM...et
>
> LXDE spin by adding these two lines to
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf:
>
> Code:
>
> Option "TapButton1" "1"
> Option "RBCornerButton" "3"
>
> Could problem solved?

The correct place to put the file would be /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d , not
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d . User/admin customization always goes in
/etc. The /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d directory exists for any
distribution packages that want to ship xorg config snippets, it
shouldn't be used by sysadmin/user.

So instead of /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf you should
create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf . Other than that, I think
the advice is good.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey