[HEADS-UP] retire lslk(8)

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 08:04:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:33:47PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Karel Zak (kzak at redhat.com) said:
> >
> >  I'd like to retire package lslk (command lslk(8) -- list local locks)
> >  in Fedora >= 18.
> >
> >  The package upstream is officially inactive since July 2001. The
> >  latest util-linux release provides a new reimplementation lslocks(8),
> >  this new command is already available in Fedora 18.
>
> Any reason the util-linux implementation can't be CLI-compatible and stay named lslk?

 A backwardly compatible implementation was our original goal, but
 later we found out that the original output and command line options
 are too useless and incompatible with the rest of the new utils in
 util-linux. All our new utils (findmnt, lsblk, lscpu, partx, etc.)
 use the same output style -- we don't want any exception like lslk.

 ..and I don't believe that anyone depends on lslk, it's useless:

 $ lslk
 lslk: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /root/.gvfs
 Output information may be incomplete.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>