Bundled/embedded data in a package

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 20:35:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 15:00 -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Nicolas Mailhot
> <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>

>         Adobe CMAP is used by lots of font, ps and pdf related apps
>         and IIRC
>         packaging it is currently on the wishlist.
>
>         You should unbundle it and create a separate package.
>
>         I don't think CMAP has security implications, but projects
>         that bundle old
>         versions of the Adobe datafiles will behave in non-optimal
>         ways when they
>         hit a font/text combination that requires a mapping Adobe
>         introduced in a
>         later version.
>

> That sounds like a good idea.
>

> How should it work though? I can grab all the .tar.z files
> from http://sourceforge.net/adobe/cmap/home/Home/, extract them, and
> throw them somewhere into /usr/share (/usr/share/cmap/)... then
> packages can grab up-to-date copies of the cmap resources from there?

Don't know the specifics of this case, but in general when you're trying
to extract something that multiple packages have embedded like this, you
need to create a package of the shared resource and then ensure that
each package which is currently embedding it is adjusted to use the
system-wide version. Sometimes the build process is already capable of
doing this and it's just a case of doing whatever you have to do
(BuildRequires, configure parameters...) to tell it to use it, sometimes
you'll have to patch it and send the patch upstream.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey