[Test-Announce] Fedora 18 Alpha is hereby declared GOLD

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Sep 17 21:34:23 UTC 2012

On 09/17/2012 02:19 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 16:37 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
>> On 09/17/2012 04:27 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> It's been suggested that we should stop using 'GOLD' when talking
>>> about Alpha and Beta, and I think this is right. Only final releases
>>> should be said to have gone 'gold' - this is how the term is generally
>>> understood, and using it for Alpha and Beta releases confuses people
>>> as to their status. Jaroslav, what needs to happen for the term not to
>>> be used for F18 Beta and future Alpha / Beta releases?
>>
>> I like the suggestion to use "bronze" then "silver" then "gold"
>
> It's cute, but I think might read a bit bizarre in isolation. 'Ready for
> testing' is terminally boring, but seems safe...

Although that somewhat conflicts with our release candidates of
Alpha/Beta that are also "ready for testing".

Also, the point of marking something as GOLD was that it's ready to be
staged for distribution.  GOLD meant Gold Master, that is the master
copy was produced and sent off to the duplicators.  "Ready for testing"
doesn't quite embody that same idea.

"Completed" seems to make some sense, the Alpha has been completed and
is now being staged for release.

--
Help me fight child abuse: http://tinyurl.com/jlkcourage

- jlk