[Test-Announce] Fedora 18 Alpha is hereby declared GOLD

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 07:45:12 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 17:07 -0400, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > At the F18 Alpha Go/No-Go Meeting that just occurred, the Fedora 18
> > Alpha release was declared GOLD. F18 Alpha will be released
> > Tuesday,
> > September 18, 2012.
>
> It's been suggested that we should stop using 'GOLD' when talking
> about
> Alpha and Beta, and I think this is right. Only final releases should
> be
> said to have gone 'gold' - this is how the term is generally
> understood,
> and using it for Alpha and Beta releases confuses people as to their
> status. Jaroslav, what needs to happen for the term not to be used
> for
> F18 Beta and future Alpha / Beta releases?

For Alpha, I used GOLD as used in the past but I'm open to a new
wording. I like "Public Alpha"/"Public Beta" as suggested in the thread.
I talked to a few people around and they use it.

Public Alpha = latest RC compose used for redistribution/mirroring
Public Alpha Availability = the date when Public Alpha is available
(we currently call it "Alpha Public Availability" in schedules).

I was checking schedules - the GOLD is not used there, so from
this point, there's no problem. It has to be fixed in announcement,
my job :)

For TC/RC - I'm ok with it. Even for alpha/beta RC means release
candidate - something that's going to be released to the wild. Instead
of TC snapshot #x could be used but TC really means - use it for
testing, there's no confusion.

Funny story: one friend understood "is hereby declared GOLD" as
"wow, Spherical Cow was renamed to GOLD?".

R.