Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Tue Sep 18 13:51:33 UTC 2012

> From: mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>
> >> From: Florian Müllner <fmuellner at gnome.org>

> > Any ideas on the equivalent for KDM?
> >

> Why not enable it in xorg itself - from memory you can look for a file
> like /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf (or possibly in
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf or similar)
>
> Then ensure that you have a section like:
>
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "touchpad catchall"
>         Driver "synaptics"
>         MatchIsTouchpad "on"
>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>         Option "TapButton1" "1"
>         Option "TapButton2" "2"
>         Option "TapButton3" "3"
>         Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
> EndSection
>
> When you boot you should have touchpad buttons available even at the
> KDM greeter stage for login - (I guess same for GDM though I am a KDE
> user only)

Perfect!  I'll give that a try soon, but it looks just like what I wanted.
 I figured there was something like this, but hadn't snooped around yet --
this will save me much time.  Thanks!

> I have been doing this for several years with my laptops....

I'm relatively new to owning a laptop.  Used them for years at work but
those were bungled with Windoze.  Win7 lived all of about 5m on my Samsung
before something worthwhile (F17) was installed after which it immediately
soared in value by a factor of nearly infinity.  :-)

--
John Florian