Emacs package guidelines introduce unnecessary deps

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Sep 20 05:36:30 UTC 2012

Upon upgrading a F17 box today I notice "desktop-file-utils" wants to
pull in "emacs-filesystem". When I investigate the cause I find it to be
the Emacs packaging guidelines.

The guidelines now force any package that has Emacs add-ons to install
them in the main package and Requires: emacs-filesystem. Emacs is not
installed by default and I do not use Emacs, nor will I ever. I'm not
sure why having sub-packages was such a negative thing. Can we bring
back sub-packages?