Fedora's Cloud Future (and, self (re-)introduction)

Glauber Costa glommer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 08:17:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:04:52PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> In summary: I believe that containers are a big part of being awesome in
>> the cloud. And right now running Fedora inside a container is not that
>> great an experience. It kinda works, but it's very very rough around the
>> edges.
>
> Thanks Lennart. I agree, this is an important aspect.
>
>> Yes, I know I should have subscribed to the ML and posted that there,
>> but I am soooo lazy to do that for one mail only... I apologize.
>
> Not a problem -- this list is good too, because ultimately it's going to
> affect everyone. I'm happy to engage community members, developers, and
> users not just in my "home space" but in theirs as well. :)

If I may jump in, I was active in Fedora some years ago as the
maintainer for the KVM related
packages, firmwares, etc.

I recently reactivated my account, with the intention of packaging
OpenVZ for Fedora
(http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page)

OpenVZ is a very mature piece of containers technology, regularly used
and commercially supported
in production for quite a while now. Its main disadvantage is that it
require a patched kernel to properly
function.

I recently, however, modified the tools (which is what I intend to
package) so they will run with a standard
distro kernel, with limited functionality. I am, with some colleagues,
also working extensively upstream to port
all technologies to Linux Upstream. We are very close, for instance,
to achieving live migration support.

Seconding what Lennart said, I hope to be able with this to improve
Fedora's container experience, which I also
view as crucial for a deep cloud strategy. I hope this is good news
for at least a part of you guys!

cya soon

--
Sent from my Atari.