Emacs package guidelines introduce unnecessary deps

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 22:53:48 UTC 2012

On 20 September 2012 06:36, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> The guidelines now force any package that has Emacs add-ons to install them
> in the main package and Requires: emacs-filesystem.

You're mistaken here. The new guidelines still allow for a packager to
split out the Emacs relevant bits into a sub-package. But, if the
package contains just one or two helper files for Emacs support and
the packager would rather keep them in the main package, (s)he can do
that and Require the emacs-filesystem packge.

To reiterate: noone is forced to keep Emacs add-ons in the main
package.  Packager discretion can be applied.

> Emacs is not installed
> by default and I do not use Emacs, nor will I ever. I'm not sure why having
> sub-packages was such a negative thing. Can we bring back sub-packages?

I don't understand why you object so much to the emacs-filesystem
package - it contains 3 empty directories only. Can you clarify?

Cheers,

Jonathan