Firefox / Thunderbird 17 ESR for Fedora 16/17

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Sep 23 11:06:53 UTC 2012

On 22.09.2012 13:02, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> W dniu 21.09.2012 15:33, Martin Stransky pisze:
>> as the subject says there are test packages available for your beloved
>> Fedora's. Especially Thunderbird 17 (Earlybird now) needs some love from
>> you (the 17ESR line is going to be a background for the future ones) so
>> it would be great if you can install it, run it and report any issues.
>> All instructions are at:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firefox
>>
>> NOTE: All those packages are pre-release and are targeted to experienced
>> users!
>>
> Does it mean Fedora will stop shipping the latest FF/TB and stick to ESR
> instead? Or is it for parallel-installation purposes?

Unlikely and IMHO unwanted (at least from my side) afacis, as other
answers already indicated. But that is not the reason for this mail.
This is:

Has anybody considered to package the ESR releases for Fedora or is the
general consensus "that doesn't make much sense, just leads to confusion
and is not worth the trouble". I now and then could need a parallel
installed Firefox ESR for a Webinterface that officially only supports
ESR releases. I can simply install one in my homedir, but it would be
nice to have it yum-installable from the stock Fedora repos (but the
problem does not bug me enough to submit a package myself).

Cu
knurd