request: remove "gd.tuwien.ac.at" from mirror-lists

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Sep 26 08:02:05 UTC 2012

Am 26.09.2012 06:05, schrieb Daniel Veillard:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 05:14:58PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-09-25 at 10:34 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> [...]
>> I think some of Harald's other suggestions in the mail are pretty good,
>> though. It does seem like yum could try harder to throw out slow
>> mirrors. It is a bit annoying when you're sitting on a 50Mb/sec
>> connection getting about 200Kb/sec from some sclerotic mirror...
>
> So just imagine when you have 4Mbps and getting not even half a kbps
> from the server and unable to even kill that update because if you do
> the damn thing will restart from scratch from the same server and at
> the same speed. That's the current situation here ! 200Kb/sec is
> very fast compared to what yum serves us, there are server that fast
> but yum will stick indefinitely with slow servers. And a fast server
> today will be a slow one tomorrow depending on the ISP own evaluation
> of the traffic pattern.

yes, and that is why statistics of mirrors are meaningsless

because of this fact my idea to give us a config-option
"dear yum, if the selected mirror provides lower than
500 KB/sek try another one because my line can 12 MB/sec"

keep also in mind that a usually fast mirror may have too
much load and that is why he is so slow - one reason more
to switch ASAP to another one