Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 11:59:02 UTC 2012

Hi Adam,

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:54:07 -0700
Adam Williamson wrote:
> When lots of people who clearly aren't complete idiots tell you
> something happens to them, it's probably best just to accept that it
> does, because arguing that you can't possibly see how it could
> possibly happen to them is only going to make you look churlish.

there's no need to jump the gun ;-) While, after rereading my post I
kind of see where you've got the impression (looks like one or two words
I meant to write are missing there), I did not mean that as an argument,
just a point of view -- what I meant is that my brain does not
process *why* it happens (tap while move), but that *does not* mean I
don't accept that it happens for real people. There's a huge difference
between knowing and understanding ;-)

Hence why I also included the question about smart phones, because I
believe that while interaction via touch-pad is indirect and relative
(you don't actually see the screen under your finger; you move
objects relative to where you start), the interaction is physically
pretty much same -- when you move right it moves right (whatever it is
you're moving -- on notebook usually cursor, on touch-screen usually
some object), when you tap, it clicks exactly where you are...

Also some people seemed to misunderstand -- I do understand why you can
accidentally tap while typing (i.e. accidentally use touch-pad, while
using keyboard) and that's already handled by an existing
configuration option. The only thing I personally don't understand (but
accept that it happens) is that you can actually use touch-pad for
moving and meanwhile accidentally tap.

Martin