Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Tomas Radej tradej at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 12:34:00 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 09/26/2012 08:51 PM, les wrote:
> Please, you can enable this feature if you want it, and if your
> touchpad handles it well, then good for you. Tapping is a "feature",
> not a characteristic of touch pad use, and as such should be
> accessible to those who want it, but not enabled by default. Just my
> personal point of view. Regards, Les H

I agree with this. Unless your touchpad's buttons are broken (like mine,
but that's beside the point), you can move around the system, no
problem, and enable tap-to-click at will.

The question that comes with this is if the switch is easily accessible.
In Gnome it is (albeit it has a funny label - 'Enable mouse clicks with
touchpad' - what's wrong with 'Tap to click'?), but it appeared only
recently in XFCE. I don't know about other environments which we ship,
please submit your experience.

I don't expect much of a consensus to arise around this point, so I
suggest we check if in the main environments, the tap-to-click setting
is easily accessible and user-friendly. This state won't bother people
who have problems with tap-to-click, and won't pose problems for people
who want to have it on. I think that it's safe to assume that if the
user installed Fedora successfully, they realize that to enable clicking
with their touchpad, they need to go to Mouse/Touchpad settings and set
it there in a checkbox.

Tomas Radej

--
FAS, IRC nick tradej