Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Steve Morrissey smorriss at d.umn.edu
Thu Sep 27 13:07:06 UTC 2012

> The problem with your argument is that it can go with both directions.
> We can have it enabled by default and in case the user is annoyed by
> it he/she can turn it off.

This is exactly right, there really is no right/wrong answer to this. For
many it simply depends on what system you're using. If I'm using my Lenovo
then I definitely don't want tap-to-click enabled because it has button
both above and below the trackpad that work perfectly fine.

If I'm using a newer-model MacBook I want tap-to-click turned on because
the whole trackpad clicks which can be cumbersome/hard to press vs. simple
tapping. If I'm using an old MacBook that actually has a physical trackpad
button I want tap-to-click off because it's an old laptop and the trackpad
is getting worn and picky when it comes to detecting input properly.

As others have pointed out this is actually one of the easiest to find
settings and changing it is beyond trivial for even the most basic users.
There is simply no good case to change defaults as there are too many
variables at play.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Tomas Radej <tradej at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > On 09/26/2012 08:51 PM, les wrote:
> >>
> >> Please, you can enable this feature if you want it, and if your touchpad
> >> handles it well, then good for you. Tapping is a "feature", not a
> >> characteristic of touch pad use, and as such should be accessible to
> those
> >> who want it, but not enabled by default. Just my personal point of view.
> >> Regards, Les H
> >

> > I agree with this. Unless your touchpad's buttons are broken (like mine,
> but
> > that's beside the point), you can move around the system, no problem, and
> > enable tap-to-click at will.
> >
> > The question that comes with this is if the switch is easily accessible.
> In
> > Gnome it is (albeit it has a funny label - 'Enable mouse clicks with
> > touchpad' - what's wrong with 'Tap to click'?), but it appeared only
> > recently in XFCE. I don't know about other environments which we ship,
> > please submit your experience.
> >
> > I don't expect much of a consensus to arise around this point, so I
> suggest
> > we check if in the main environments, the tap-to-click setting is easily
> > accessible and user-friendly. This state won't bother people who have
> > problems with tap-to-click, and won't pose problems for people who want
> > have it on. I think that it's safe to assume that if the user installed
> > Fedora successfully, they realize that to enable clicking with their
> > touchpad, they need to go to Mouse/Touchpad settings and set it there in
> > checkbox.
>
> The problem with your argument is that it can go with both directions.
> We can have it enabled by default and in case the user is annoyed by
> it he/she can turn it off.
>
> I don't think that continuing this discussion makes much sense. There
> are people who want/like it and there are some who do not ... unless
> we can detect that (i.e read the users mind) we cannot find a solution
> that works for everybody.
> --

Steve Morrissey
Information Technology Systems & Services
University of Minnesota Duluth
o: 218.726.8866