Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Sep 27 15:39:27 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 02:47:47PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Tomas Radej <tradej at redhat.com> wrote:

> > I don't expect much of a consensus to arise around this point, so I suggest
> > we check if in the main environments, the tap-to-click setting is easily
> > accessible and user-friendly. This state won't bother people who have
> > problems with tap-to-click, and won't pose problems for people who want to
> > have it on. I think that it's safe to assume that if the user installed
> > Fedora successfully, they realize that to enable clicking with their
> > touchpad, they need to go to Mouse/Touchpad settings and set it there in a
> > checkbox.
>
> The problem with your argument is that it can go with both directions.
> We can have it enabled by default and in case the user is annoyed by
> it he/she can turn it off.

It is easier to enable something that is missing than to disable some
annoying behaviour whose cause is unknown. For example if you miss
tap-to-click, you know what you need to search for to enable it. If the
touchpad behaves strange because of accidental clicks, it is not that
clear whether this is a bad setting or a hardware or software defect.

This has already manifested for me with the slow keys feature that GDM
enables and makes one believe that the keyboard died.

Regards
Till