Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 18:45:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 13:59 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:54:07 -0700
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > When lots of people who clearly aren't complete idiots tell you
> > something happens to them, it's probably best just to accept that it
> > does, because arguing that you can't possibly see how it could
> > possibly happen to them is only going to make you look churlish.
> >
> there's no need to jump the gun ;-) While, after rereading my post I
> kind of see where you've got the impression (looks like one or two words
> I meant to write are missing there), I did not mean that as an argument,
> just a point of view -- what I meant is that my brain does not
> process *why* it happens (tap while move), but that *does not* mean I
> don't accept that it happens for real people. There's a huge difference
> between knowing and understanding ;-)
>
> Hence why I also included the question about smart phones, because I
> believe that while interaction via touch-pad is indirect and relative
> (you don't actually see the screen under your finger; you move
> objects relative to where you start), the interaction is physically
> pretty much same -- when you move right it moves right (whatever it is
> you're moving -- on notebook usually cursor, on touch-screen usually
> some object), when you tap, it clicks exactly where you are...

To answer the question, I don't have the problem on smartphones, no. But
I don't think it's a very useful comparison. You tap a lot more and drag
a lot less on smartphones; tapping on something is the normal
interaction, and you usually drag only for some kind of gesture. There's
no cursor to move around. On a laptop, moving the cursor is probably
what you do the most of. Add to that that the technologies used in the
two aren't precisely the same and they're probably calibrated
differently, and...it's just not a very germane comparison, really.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey