Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:09:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:39:27 +0200
Till Maas wrote:
> This has already manifested for me with the slow keys feature that GDM
> enables and makes one believe that the keyboard died.

Yes, this happened to me once as well... I was really bewildered as to
what to do. But I think with tapping it's the other way around than
you suggest -- when Fedora switched the default to disabled (I don't
recall which version it was), I really thought something was broken --
just like with the keyboard. No matter how much I tapped, nothing
happened. :-o

Now I know it's because tapping is disabled but at that time I thought
it was hardware feature, not something you disable in software
configuration. So until I learned what actually happened I really
thought something was broken and I didn't know what.

However, as I said earlier, I do not want to change the default
(again), both camps are probably equally numbered, and changes to
default that are not strongly supported (either by unbreakable
arguments or overwhelming numbers) are more disturbing than helpful. I
would just like to better understand the other camp. And Adam is doing
a pretty helpful job on that front ;-)

Cheers,
Martin