Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Jarosław Górny jaroslav at aster.pl
Sun Sep 30 10:52:43 UTC 2012

Hi,

Wiadomość napisana przez drago01 w dniu 27 wrz 2012, o godz. 17:42:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:

>>> The problem with your argument is that it can go with both directions.
>>> We can have it enabled by default and in case the user is annoyed by
>>> it he/she can turn it off.
>>
>> It is easier to enable something that is missing than to disable some
>> annoying behaviour whose cause is unknown. For example if you miss
>> tap-to-click, you know what you need to search for to enable it. If the
>> touchpad behaves strange because of accidental clicks, it is not that
>> clear whether this is a bad setting or a hardware or software defect.
>
> Not buying that. If you tap and nothing happens you may also think
> that something is broken "why does my touchpad not work" ... this is
> even more likely then your scenario.
> So this argument is flawed as well.

Let's maybe try to look at this from another perspective:
- tap to click is one of the features of a device class named touchpad, right?
- we are now setting this feature to *OFF* by default, right?

OK, so, are there any other devices, where we are turning off *some* or *all* of their features by default?
If the answer is NO - then tap to click should be also set to ON by default.
If the answer is YES - then we can try to think:

1. what are the reasons of having some features disabled by default?
2. does this particular feature match here?

This could help avoiding such controversies in the future.

regards,

--
Jarosław Górny
RHCE: 805008212834187