package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Mon Apr 1 15:58:42 UTC 2013

On 03/28/2013 03:26 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> To throw an opinion into the pot, I like the current system. It makes
> perfect sense to me to consider 'gnome-desktop' and 'gnome-desktop3' to
> be two different things, 'autoconf' and 'autoconf213' as two different
> things, and so on and so forth. Conceptually that's what they are.

This reminds me of the MySQL/MariaDB situation--several similar but
slightly different issues:

- both packages own the same files (file name overlap)

- at the same time packages are not identical and have unique files too

- some applications require 'a' database but don't care which one

- for historical reasons dependencies have a specific requirement
(normally mysql) even though the package would work with either one

- and of course it's possible that a package might require a specific
dependency