Using Fedora for Gnome development...

Darryl L. Pierce mcpierce at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 20:40:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 03:50:26PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 15:31 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>
> > When python3 is installed then, with both projects, Cmake finds Python
> > 3.
>
> This seems like either a bug in Cmake or your project (not sure which) -
> if it's possible to explicitly specify that you want Python 2, then you
> should be doing so.  Likewise, if a project wants Python 3, you should
> also explicitly say so, at least in the build configuration (spec file,
> bitbake recipe, debian/rules etc.).
>
> Basically while it's sometimes sane for a component to auto-detect from
> the environment which Python to use, you should generally configure it
> explicitly to use whichever one you want.
>
> See also:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2012-November/msg00014.html
>
> Where the conclusion for GNOME was that modules should accept
> --with-python to specify exactly which Python they want.  See also
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/pygobject3.git/tree/pygobject3.spec#n163
> which is accomplishing this in a slightly different way.

I found the problem, but it seems to be in Cmake.

find_package(PythonInterp 2.7 REQUIRED)

works as expected and finds Python 2.7. However:

find_package(PythonLibs 2.7 REQUIRED)

_always_ comes back with the Python 3 library instead of the 2.7
library.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce at gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.multiply.com/