Expanding the list of "Hardened Packages"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Apr 3 00:07:57 UTC 2013

Am 03.04.2013 01:59, schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 16:50:33 -0700
> John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:
>
>>> It does rather seem like we should consider just killing it
>>> [prelink], at least by default.
>>
>> Prelinking shortens the time between execve() and first useful output.
>> A prelinked module reduces time spent in ld-linux, and increases
>> sharing of pages (which reduces time spent in kernel duplicating
>> copy-on-write pages.) The savings are *visible* when invoking an
>> interactive GUI program that has dozens of shared libraries, or when
>> several hundred smaller executables are invoked each second, such as
>> some 'make' clouds, etc.
>
> I'm not so sure they are... perhaps it's time for another round of 'how
> fast does libreoffice start when prelinked vs not'?

after these dicussions i tried it again these days multiple
times witout and with "prelink -mRa"

the possible difference is snake-oil
on fast machines it doe snot matter

on small machines AKA notebooks the prelink-cronjob did hurt
me all the years way much more as it brought benefits and
the fact that you get neraly each day some updates which would
make prelink necessary and bring rkhunter to whine and defeats
at least the benfit of any IDS is a very strong indication to
leave it in the repos for people who feel better with snakeoil
but do not enforce it as default