Expanding the list of "Hardened Packages"

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Wed Apr 3 16:08:42 UTC 2013

On 04/03/2013 05:38 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> A different issue that worries me about PIE is the impact on the
> available address space in 32-bit builds

A test program says that the unused space is bounded by 1MiB per module
(main program or shared library) and in a 32-bit environment the
placement is top-down beginning with the stack.  Thus the strategy
gives something close to the maximum contiguous unallocated region,
where "close" means "up to a gap of 1MB per library".  See my
test program in another thread of this topic.