package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Apr 3 16:19:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 2013-04-03, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
> > "How does (yum update) work with multiple installed versions?"
> >
> > We already can install simultaneously 25 different RPMs with the same
> > %{name}.  But what does (yum uprade) do when the repositories one month
> > later contain 35 different RPMs with that name, none matching the
> original
> > 25?
> >
> Those within same branch/slot will be updated to latest in the
> branch/slot.

That's roughly what I was talking about two mails earlier, except that I
called it "API identifier", and AFAICS there is no reasonable way to assign
an API identifier that would make sense (roughly because whether an API
identifier makes sense depends on packages that _require_ the identifier,
not on the package that _provides_ it, so it is not a local property).
    Mirek