[F18][ATI Rage XL] Problems with install on ATI Rage XP video driver

Aaron Gray aaronngray.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 21:45:15 UTC 2013

how do I go about getting in a position to do a git bisect. I know C/C++
and I know git, and I know hardware. Its the Fedora side of things that I
am very unsure of. Some help and advice and pointers to what to look at and
learn would be much appreciated.

There seem to be three areas that need attacking/looking at :-

a) The Anaconda main graphic interface gives a random coloured effect, not
even a wrong x axis length style random screen.
b) The 'Basic Graphics Mode' screen is the top left hand corner of the full
display image.
c) The graphics once you get it working is using a much lower resolution
640 by 480 where the ATI Rage XL supports 1600 by 1200. And it calls itself
a 'Laptop' in the 'System Settings'.

It looks like there must just be missing a configuration in X that by the
looks of it was also missing in Ubuntu 8.10.

As I say I don't really know where to start. I have tried making
configuration modifications to X before but with very little joy.