How do *you* use Fedora?

Lokesh Mandvekar lsm5 at buffalo.edu
Thu Apr 4 06:32:17 UTC 2013

I mostly use cli programs (apart from web browsing, pdf readers and
the ocassional gimp). My netbook has just 1G RAM, so I try to use the
lightest programs wherever I can, and given the tools I've gotten used to, I don't even
feel the need for more RAM (except when I'm forced to use Firefox). Here's my
list:

* Desktop environment: spectrwm - a tiling window manager (nothing else)
* terminal emulator: urxvt
* ssh
* pdf reader: zathura
* web browser: luakit(mostly), Firefox(if luakit doesn't behave well)
* chat: irssi, bitlbee
* email: mutt
* editor: vim
* Document/slideshow creation: LaTeX, beamer :)
* SCM: git, gitolite
* Tor \m/

I also have an installation of NetBSD's pkgsrc package manager on my machine.
Coexists happily with yum.

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 01:17:17AM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.04.2013 21:47, schrieb Pete Travis:
> > The docs team has begun assembling release notes for Fedora 19, and I've been thinking over hardware requirements.
> >
> > Historically, we have cited the CPU, storage, and especially memory requirements for the default installation - a
> > basic GNOME desktop.  I'd like to reexamine that practice, with input from the development community. Fedora is too
> > versatile a product to document so narrowly.
> >
> > A few considerations come immediately to mind, but please don't limit yourself to the examples:
> > Modern composited desktops like GNOME and KDE need better graphics hardware than XFCE or MATE.  Headless servers
> > would benefit from better NICs or storage controllers, but not require them. Purpose driven virtual machines
> > clearly need fewer resources than the machine that hosts them.
> >
> > I'm considering system specs at this point, but establishing the roles deployed might aid in targeting more
> > comprehensive documentation. Beyond a basic desktop, what use cases would you like to see us represent?
>
> i have two uses-cases for Fedora
>
> private:
>
> * homerouter / firewall / VPN-gateway / WLAN-AP (hostapd)
> * fileserver for all sorts of data
> * music server (MPD)
> * KDE desktop
> * web-develoment (Eclipse)
> * all sort of servers like for business in VMware Workstation
>
> _______________________
>
> business:
>
> * software development
>   * web-applications / web-services / cms-systems
>   * admin backends for different services like mail/web/ftp/sftp/EPP
>   * deployment-tools (shell/php-scripts)
> * router / firewall / VPN-gateway for small offices
> * http-server / load-balancer (httpd / apache trafficserver)
> * ftp-server
> * mailserver (dbmail, dovecot, postfix, mysql)
> * database servers (for web-sites as well for admin-backends)
> * fileserver (smb / netatalk)
> * dns-servers (authoritative for hosting and internal resolvers
> * dhcpd
> * sftp-servers with nss-mysql in case of many virtual users
> * voip / fax (asterisk, hylafax, iaxmodem)
> * openvpn
>
> in summary: any network-service for internal usage as well as for
> customer services based on self-written admin- and deployment tools
> on top of VMware vSphere and running all on Fedora since many years
> and any dist-upgrade online with YUM all the time
>

> --

Lokesh