package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 16:21:37 UTC 2013

Dne 4.4.2013 18:11, Mattias Ellert napsal(a):
> tor 2013-04-04 klockan 17:29 +0200 skrev Vít Ondruch:
>> Dne 4.4.2013 16:20, Miloslav Trmač napsal(a):
>>> esthetics.
>>>
>> May be I misunderstood the thread, but wasn't this the main point since
>> the beginning? To prevent the "naming-with-version" exploit as is still
>> stated in the $SUBJECT?
>>
>> It might looks like the thread would be named like "how to install
>> multiple versions on single package" but it was not. Clearly, there are
>> ways. There are even policies in place. The brainstorming was how to do
>> it right, but there is no will. Every steak holder just repeats how to
>> achieve it currently, no how to do it right.
> I think you misunderstand here. I think the replies contain the current
> way, not because it is the current way, but because those who reply
> consider the current way to be the right way. For me the current way
> makes sense and I would not like to change it.
>
> 	Mattias

I'd love to hear stories how somebody tried and failed. I want to see
footprints of this attempts in code, in branches of source repositories.
I have seen non yet. I've just heard why not to try.

BTW I am not saying the current way does not make sense in current
state. That does not mean we cannot do better.

Vít