[F18][ATI Rage XL] Problems with install on ATI Rage XP video driver

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 22:29:52 UTC 2013

On 04/04/13 03:10 PM, Aaron Gray wrote:
> AFAICT it does not seem to be a missing RPM level problem
> There is just an ATI driver 'xorg-x11-drv-ati.i686' which is available
> on F16, F17, and F18.

> It is being loaded on F18 on the HP DL140 G3 with ATI Rage XL video
> controller. So presumably it is either a problem with the probing being
> broken, or the Rage XL driver being removed or broken.

The 'ati' driver is a bit odd; it's just a wrapper for the real drivers.
Viz the manpage:

DESCRIPTION
        ati  is  an  Xorg  wrapper  driver for ATI video cards.  It
autodetects whether your hardware has a Radeon, Rage  128,  or  Mach64
or  earlier class of chipset, and loads the radeon(4), r128(4), or
mach64 driver as appropriate.

Though, looking at that description, I do see that 'radeon', 'r128' and
'mach64' all appear to be present in the F19 repos. 'mach64' may not be
installed by default, though - can you check if you have the
'xorg-x11-drv-mach64' package installed? If not, try installing it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey