How do *you* use Fedora?

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Fri Apr 5 14:59:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM, David Lehman <dlehman at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 08:59 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 08:29:21AM -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
> > > equated to the memory requirements for the running environment,
> especially
> > > for cloud guests. @minimal requires less memory to install than a full
> > > desktop - but does anyone want to run Fedora with less memory than
> that, or
> > > is doing so venturing out of reasonable guidelines and into
> > > proof-of-concept adventureland?
> >
> > Yes, people want to run Fedora in VMs with less memory than that. (Key
> > demographic: large computer science classes.)
>
> Would those classes be installing the VMs themselves, or would the
> instructor/assistant do that beforehand? If the latter, this is a
> perfect case for anaconda's install-to-a-disk-image-file capability and
> makes little sense to handle by doing dozens of interactive
> installations.
>
> Dave

I wasn't aware of this compelling capability. I experimented with it a bit;
encouragingly, I can create an image with qcow-create that anaconda
recognizes, but I haven't sorted out how to run anaconda from the command
line without it taking over the system that runs it, with varying degrees
of success. The functionality seems... inconsistent. Is this the way I'm
using it[1] ?

[1] ssh to a guest to I don't kill my workstation
# ssh targetvm anaconda --kickstart=http://host/ks.cfg--image=/root/anaconda.img

-- Pete Travis
- Fedora Docs Project Leader
- 'randomuser' on freenode