How do *you* use Fedora?

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Fri Apr 5 21:15:16 UTC 2013

On Apr 5, 2013 2:23 PM, "David Lehman" <dlehman at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 08:59 -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM, David Lehman <dlehman at redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> >         On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 08:59 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >         > On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 08:29:21AM -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
> >         > > equated to the memory requirements for the running
> >         environment, especially
> >         > > for cloud guests. @minimal requires less memory to install
> >         than a full
> >         > > desktop - but does anyone want to run Fedora with less
> >         memory than that, or
> >         > > is doing so venturing out of reasonable guidelines and
> >         into
> >         > > proof-of-concept adventureland?
> >         >
> >         > Yes, people want to run Fedora in VMs with less memory than
> >         that. (Key
> >         > demographic: large computer science classes.)
> >

> >         Would those classes be installing the VMs themselves, or would
> >         the
> >         instructor/assistant do that beforehand? If the latter, this
> >         is a
> >         perfect case for anaconda's install-to-a-disk-image-file
> >         capability and
> >         makes little sense to handle by doing dozens of interactive
> >         installations.
> >
> >         Dave
> >

> > I wasn't aware of this compelling capability. I experimented with it a
> > bit; encouragingly, I can create an image with qcow-create that
> > anaconda recognizes, but I haven't sorted out how to run anaconda from
> > the command line without it taking over the system that runs it, with
> > varying degrees of success. The functionality seems... inconsistent.
> > Is this the way I'm using it[1] ?
> >

> > [1] ssh to a guest to I don't kill my workstation
> > # ssh targetvm anaconda --kickstart=http://host/ks.cfg
> > --image=/root/anaconda.img
>
> I found a bug just a few minutes ago that would prevent disk image
> installs from working as expected [1]. There may be other issues lurking
> as this is an under-used piece of functionality. Your usage seems fine.
>

> [1] When disk images are specified they automatically become the
> exclusive set of usable disks. The bug I found earlier marks all disks,
> including the disk image, as unusable.
>
> --

I thought this exclusivity was the expected behavior, although I only did
quick glance over the code.  The problem seems to stem from running
anaconda on an existing system rather than booting into anaconda.

I'll play around with this some more, and follow up with bug reports, or a
thread on anaconda-devel@ if you'd prefer. This thread is giving me a lot
to ponder...

--Pete