dracut hostonly and cloud images

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 8 16:06:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 11:08:03AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > We're going to produce official Fedora Cloud images which should run on
> > Amazon EC2, and various open source cloud infrastructure -- OpenStack,
> > Eucalyptus, CloudStack, OpenNebula; with both KVM and Xen -- and probably
> > also under VMware and VirtualBox.
>
> Can you elaborate on those last two?  Are you intending to generate
> images explicitly for VMWare and VirtualBox, or do you expect the cloud
> images to just run there?  If the former... please explain further.

The latter, definitely. And of those two, with priority to VirtualBox
because it's a) open source (extensions notwithstanding) and b) heavily used
on Mac laptops where Fedora is a common guest. (The cloud images isn't
intended to be a generic guest image, but it's handy if it happens to work.)

> In both cases, is there a reason you're excluding Hyper-V?

No, no particular reason; I just left it out of the list. I can't really
test it myself, and the same lower-priority-since-it's-not-open applies. And
in all cases we're certainly (and obviosuly I hope) not packaging up guest
driver / toolkit software that isn't free software.