what is "initramfs-0-rescue" in F19?

Harald Hoyer harald.hoyer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 08:36:46 UTC 2013

Am 09.04.2013 00:00, schrieb Jeffrey Bastian:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 04:03:47PM -0500, Jeffrey Bastian wrote:
>> I removed my initramfs-0-rescue-* file because I didn't know what it was
>> and no rpm claimed to own it.  How do I get it back?  I've tried running
>> dracut with various options and it doesn't regenerate the image.
>
> Attempting to answer my own question...  I'm not sure if this is the
> correct way, but I tried running this:
>
>   /etc/kernel/postinst.d/51-dracut-rescue-postinst.sh $(uname -r) \
>                                                    /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)*
>
> And now I have rescue files again:
>
>   # ls -latr /boot/*0-rescue*
>   -rw-------. 1 root root 27496022 Apr  8 16:46 /boot/initramfs-0-rescue-...img
>   -rw-------. 1 root root  7860871 Apr  8 16:46 /boot/vmlinuz-0-rescue-...
>

> Is dracut supposed to run the /etc/kernel/postinst.d/* scripts
> automatically?  I ran dracut through 'bash -x' and strace and it didn't
> appear to even look in /etc/kernel/postinst.d
>

> The reason I removed the file in the first place is because grub2-mkconfig
> generates a not-very-descriptive entry in the menu.  My grub.cfg now has this:
>   menuentry 'Fedora, with Linux 0-rescue-344...c20' ... {
>
> Furthermore, my system is set up to dual boot between Fedora 17 and 19
> Alpha, and now grub2-mkconfig has set this rescue image as the default
> kernel for F17.
>   menuentry 'Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle)' ... {
>     linux /vmlinuz-0-rescue-344...
>   }
>
> That seems a little strange to me.
>
> Jeff

/etc/kernel/postinst.d/* scripts are called by new-kernel-pkg, which is called
in the kernel.spec, when you install a kernel.

new-kernel-pkg uses grubby to generate a grub config.
grub2-mkconfig destroys anything grubby has setup.

Well, we could patch grub2-mkconfig to recognize the rescue image, but we should
better concentrate to make grub2-mkconfig obsolete and integrate the bootloader
spec.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec