Keeping old versions of packages

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 9 16:09:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 05:16:45PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >I've heard of a plan in development about batching non-critical updates into
> >monthly sets. It seems like these two things could go together
> I'm sorry, but that is a very bad idea. When users report bugs, and I mean
> real bugs here, like crashes or non working functionality. I always do
> my best to get them a fixed package asap, and AFAIK they really appreciate
> this.

To be clear, the plan I heard (which isn't mine and I don't think is
finished anyway) isn't to *withhold* updates until a certain date; it's to
batch them up and make them available as a collection by default. If want
all *or some* updates as soon as they become available, you could still do
that.

> Also many packages in Fedora are maintained by volunteers lumping all the
> updates together will mean a flag day where all of the packages maintained
> by someone will get pushed at once, leading to a peak in work load, since
> despite testing, etc. There will be regressions as well as new packages
> sometimes leading to questions. And there also will be a peak workload
> a few days before the flag day to try and get things in now, instead
> of needing to wait a month.  Having such peak workloads is not a good
> idea in general, and esp. not with volunteers.

Overall, it's a more predictable workload, which *is* a good idea, for both
volunteer and otherwise. It's also more effective to QA packages in sets,
and more effective can mean more efficient.