Django-1.5 for F19

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 13:14:12 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

> On Thu 11 Apr 2013 02:56:16 AM EDT, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:

I wouldn't take that as far as saying "zero understanding". They break things, yes, but they have pretty good policies for deprecating/changing things [1], so you know almost 2 of their release cycles (=18 months) in advance, that something's going to be changed. There are exceptions, sure, but generally I think Django upstreams can get prepared soon enough. (That doesn't mean I'm saying that ReviewBoard did a bad job, they didn't. They have a large codebase and don't like when many things change, that's understandable - although they could have seen this coming.)

> What we really need to do is start trying to educate the Django
> upstream about long-term supportability guarantees and product
> lifecycles that other projects can rely upon.
>
> Perhaps we can point them at the Mozilla Foundation's ESR releases as
> an example. I don't have any contacts in the Django upstream, but
> maybe Matthias does?

I agree that this would be a good start. We should also keep this effort balanced with the other one - helping other Django upstreams understanding why Django is developed this way and helping them migrate.

[1] https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/internals/release-process/#minor-releases

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.