Expanding the list of "Hardened Packages"

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sun Apr 14 01:58:47 UTC 2013

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 08:36:53 PM Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > (1) -fstack-protector{,-all} doesn't implement full bounds checking
> > for every C object.
>
> But it prevents (with probability (256^n-1)/256^n, where n is the size of
> the canary in bytes, which for n=4 is approximately .99999999976717)
> exploiting the overflows to change the return address of any C function.

There is the off chance that an attacker correctly guesses the canary value.
:-)

One thing that I found in doing a recent study was that there is a build
system, scons, where our defaults are not getting used during compile. For
example, the zfs-fuse package uses the scons build system. It did not have
PIE, RELRO, stack protector, or FORTIFY_SOURCE anywhere. Anything else that
uses scons should be inspected for similar problems.

-Steve