MySQL and MariaDB in Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Apr 14 14:45:19 UTC 2013

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> It goes without saying that users should never be automatically moved
> from component A to component B if component A is still being provided,
> maintained and shipped in the distribution.

Which is why IMHO MySQL should not be provided anymore at all.

> If I installed mysql and have been running mysql then upgrade I expect
> the upgrade process to pick up the latest mysql we ship upgraded to that
> and I will be continuing to run mysql not be magically moved to fork of
> it mariadb.

Sorry, but the point of the MariaDB feature is that MariaDB will be the
default for everyone. Just like how LibreOffice replaced OpenOffice.org,
Calligra replaced KOffice, X.Org X11 replaced XFree86 etc.

There are 2 possible upgrade paths for the same old software, which one we
pick should be the decision of the package maintainer. Which project still
carries the original name should be irrelevant.

        Kevin Kofler