MySQL and MariaDB in Fedora

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 06:19:13 UTC 2013

On 04/14/2013 07:10 PM, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 04/14/2013 06:54 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> Convincing this is about doing the right thing!
>>
>> I your intention was to ban mysql in the distribution then it should
>> have been banned and dropped instead of this mess that you guys have
>> created.
> IMHO you cannot ban/deprecate a package from the distro, if there's
> still a packager/contributor to the package. Also you can not force
> somebody to drop a package.

I'm aware of that but we can force migration upon users on upgrades
while we still provide and ship that component?

If users have *chosen* to install component A and we *still* provide (
maintain,package and ship )  component A, the users should be upgraded
to that components latest release upon upgrade.

If users have *chosen* to install component A and we *no longer*
provide  ( maintain,package and ship )  component A then the argument
can be made that we should "migrate" component A to component B during
release upgrades if it provides same or similar functionality ( even
thou I feel it's bad policy doing so and we would be better of doing
nothing as in simply not upgrade or migrate that component unless it
becomes absolutely necessary )

JBG